The EMT Academy Intern will follow the educational track of becoming certified as a New York State Emergency Medical Technician. To obtain all of the necessary skills to gain the required knowledge to become an entry level employee with the job title of EMT-B for Menter Ambulance.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- To attend all required classes and scheduled shifts.
- To successfully complete and pass the New York State EMT Certification Exam.
- To complete any and all required training as set forth during Academy.
- The Job Description and Responsibilities of the EMT-B are as follows
Job Description of the EMT-B:
Emergency Medical Technicians-Basic (EMT-B) respond to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport the patient to a medical facility.
Responsibilities and Duties of the EMT-B:
- Responds to calls when dispatched. Reads maps, may drive ambulance to emergency site using most expeditious route permitted by weather and road conditions. Observes all traffic ordinances and regulations.
- Uses appropriate body substance isolation procedures. Assesses the safety of the scene, gains access to the patient, assesses extent of injury or illness.
- Communicates with dispatcher requesting additional assistance or services as necessary.
- Determines nature of illness or injury. Visually inspects for medical identification emblems to aid in care (medical bracelet, charm, etc.)
- Uses prescribed techniques and equipment to provide patient care.
- Provides additional emergency care following established protocols. Assesses and monitors vital signs and general appearance of patient for change.
- Makes determination regarding patient status and priority for emergency care using established criteria. Reassures patient, family members and bystanders.
- Assists with lifting, carrying and properly loading patient into the ambulance. Avoids mishandling patient and undue haste.
- Determines appropriate medical facility to which patient will be transported.
- Transports patient to medical facility providing ongoing medical care as necessary enroute.
- Reports nature of injury or illness to receiving facility.
- Asks for medical direction from medical control physician and carries out medical control orders as appropriate.
- Assists in moving patient from ambulance into medical facility.
- Reports verbally and in writing observations of the patient's emergency and care provided (including written report(s) and care provided by Certified First Responders prior to EMT-B/AEMT arrival on scene) to emergency department staff and assists staff as required.
- Complies with regulations in handling deceased, notifies authorities and arranges for protection of property and evidence at scene.
- Replaces supplies, properly disposes of medical waste.
- Properly cleans contaminated equipment according to established guidelines.
- Checks all equipment for future readiness.
- Maintains ambulance in operable condition.
- Ensures cleanliness and organization of ambulance, its equipment and supplies. Determines vehicle readiness by checking operator maintainable fluid, fuel and air pressure levels. Maintains familiarity with all specialized equipment.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- Valid New York State Driver's License and a clean Driver's Abstract.
- Successfully complete a pre employment physical and drug screen.
In order to be considered for this position please attach a resume and cover letter.
- Salary: $15.50 per hour
- Posted: Fri, April 29, 2022
- Location: NY - Fulton