Emergency Medical Technicians-Basic (EMT-B) respond to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport the patient to a medical facility.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responds to calls when dispatched. Reads maps, may drive ambulance to emergency site using most expeditious route permitted by weather and road conditions. Observes all traffic ordinances and regulations.
- Uses appropriate body substance isolation procedures. Assesses the safety of the scene, gains access to the patient, assesses extent of injury or illness.
- Communicates with dispatcher requesting additional assistance or services as necessary.
- Determines nature of illness or injury. Visually inspects for medical identification emblems to aid in care (medical bracelet, charm, etc.)
- Uses prescribed techniques and equipment to provide patient care.
- Provides additional emergency care following established protocols. Assesses and monitors vital signs and general appearance of patient for change.
- Makes determination regarding patient status and priority for emergency care using established criteria. Reassures patient, family members and bystanders.
- Assists with lifting, carrying and properly loading patient into the ambulance. Avoids mishandling patient and undue haste.
- Determines appropriate medical facility to which patient will be transported.
- Transports patient to medical facility providing ongoing medical care as necessary enroute.
- Reports nature of injury or illness to receiving facility.
- Asks for medical direction from medical control physician and carries out medical control orders as appropriate.
- Assists in moving patient from ambulance into medical facility.
- Reports verbally and in writing observations of the patient's emergency and care provided (including written report(s) and care provided by Certified First Responders prior to EMT-B/AEMT arrival on scene) to emergency department staff and assists staff as required.
- Complies with regulations in handling deceased, notifies authorities and arranges for protection of property and evidence at scene.
- Replaces supplies, properly disposes of medical waste.
- Properly cleans contaminated equipment according to established guidelines.
- Checks all equipment for future readiness.
- Maintains ambulance in operable condition.
- Ensures cleanliness and organization of ambulance, its equipment and supplies. Determines vehicle readiness by checking operator maintainable fluid, fuel and air pressure levels. Maintains familiarity with all specialized equipment.
Valid New York State Certification as an EMT Basic
Valid New York State Driver's License
Valid CPR Certification at the Healthcare Provider level
High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
In order to be considered for this position please attach a resume and cover letter.
- Posted: Wed, November 18, 2020
- Location: NY - Fulton